Santa Margarita Ranch
Santa Margarita Ranch is the southernmost AVA in the Paso Robles region, and considered by some to be one of the most beautiful AVAs in California.
Santa Margarita Ranch is a unique AVA, sitting separately from the rest of Paso Robles to the south. Its unique fossilized ancient oyster bed soils give freshness and distinct minerality to its wines.
Though Santa Margarita Ranch is the southernmost AVA, it’s one of the coolest. It has a distinct maritime climate characterized by a good amount of rainfall and fog coming from the Pacific.
The Cuesta Grade brings cooling breezes and winds from San Luis Obispo Bay in what would otherwise be an area fully encircled by mountains. If you’re looking for mineral and elegant Pinot Noir or Cabernet Sauvignon, and even Chardonnay, you have to check out this unique region.
- Major Varieties: Pinot Noir, Syrah, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Zinfandel, Chardonnay
- Established: 2014
- Elevation Range: 900-1400 ft (275-425 m)
- Total Area: 18,300 acres (7,400 hectares)
- Diurnal shift: 25ºF (14ºC)
- Annual Rainfall: 30 inches (760 mm)
- Soils: Ancient oyster beds, gravel, granite, sandstone