Our Chardonnay is a beautiful medium bodied wine that display our signature notes of creamy caramel.
On the pallet the weighted mouth feel is brightened with fresh honey, summer melon and a bright splash of Meyer lemon. The wine finishes with lingering notes of minerality and fresh acidity to balance.
The 2020 growing season and harvest was near normal in some ways and very unusual in others. Rainfall was 12% below average with the bulk of the storms occurring in early winter and early spring. Spring frost threats were mild. Vine growth and berry development was normal through spring. Then, Summer brought relentless heatwaves that lasted for days at a time. Wildfires began erupting throughout the state and the region was inundated with smoke from fires burning up and down the Central Coast from early August through the end of September. The heat pattern pushed maturities quickly.
Harvest timing tracked as normal. Yields were downby 20% but initial and thorough testing showed no damage from the smoke and very promising quality.
After harvesting, grapes for the Treana Chardonnay were whole-cluster pressed into stainless steel tanks for settling. The juice was then racked off its heavy lees into barrels and tanks for fermentation 65% of the juice was barrel fermented while the other 35% was fermented in stainless steel.
The barrel fermented portion saw 7months of sur-lie aging and during the first three months, the barrels were stirred monthly to add to the creamy nature of the wine. The initial blend was assembled in May of 2021and a portion was barrel- aged an additional month. The barrels we use offer a distinctive nuance to this wine. They are toasted at lower temperatures for longer periods of time, resulting in the creamy caramel flavors that integrate well with the fruit and acidity of the wine.